GALLERIES/Alberto Di Castro
Antonio Canova (1757 - 1822)
Two female figures standing, embracing as they read, c. 1797-1799
Pencil on paper
110 × 70 mm. (4 ⅜ × 2 ¾ in.)
For over a century Antichità Alberto Di Castro has been a prestigious figure in the antiques trade. Established in Rome in 1878, the Gallery is today owned and directed by Alberto Di Castro, the grandson of the founder. While continuing to keep faith with four generations of family tradition, Alberto has more closely focused his expertise, specialising in late-16th century Roman coloured marbles. Refusing to be swayed by market pressure, Di Castro has merged a personal passion and a rigorous historical-artistic approach with cultural intent as he draws on recognised authorities and scholars the world over to stage exhibitions dedicated to recovered, lost or unpublished works.