1771 - 1844
A Pair of Paul Storr Warwick Vase Wine Coolers
24.5 × 36 cm. (9 ⅝ × 14 ⅓ in.)
Maker's mark of Paul Storr
Provenance:The Court and Assistants of the Worshipful Company of Mercers; Christie's London, 22 May 1974, lot 145
Further information:Formed as the Warwick Vase, on square plinth and with spreading foot, the body cast and chased with a band of acanthus foliage and with a lion's pelt and bacchic masks, and applied below the egg-and-dart rim with a band of trailing vines, with two reeded interlaced handles, with a conforming collar and liner, marked near handles, inside collar and on liner, the bases further stamped 'GREEN, WARD ET GREEN, LONDINI FECERUNT'
Established in 1789, Green & Ward quickly rose to rival the firm of Rundell & Bridge by the turn of the century. Paul Storr worked for them first in the 1780s. The firm supplied the Wellington Shield, designed by Thomas Stothard and made by Benjamin Smith in 1822, which was presented to the Duke of Wellington by the merchants and bankers of London. Green & Ward also supplied the silver-gilt candelabra of 1816, made by Benjamin Smith, to the Duke of Wellington. Both are now at Apsley House, Hyde Park Corner, London (J. Culme, Nineteenth-century Silver, London, 1977, p. 60-61).