Colnaghi was established by Paul Colnaghi and his partner Anthony Torre in Paris in 1760. The original shop in Paris dealt in scientific instruments imported from England and they quickly branched out into print selling. Paul Colnaghi took over the London branch of the business, based in Pall Mall in 1783, and transferred the business to London becoming print sellers to the Prince Regent (later George IV). Colnaghi established itself initially as the premier dealership for prints. By the end of the 19th century the firm had begun dealing in Old Master paintings and drawings and was instrumental in the formation of some of the most important American collections, including that of Isabella Stewart Gardener, Henry Clay Frick and Andrew Mellon. In 2002, the Old Master paintings dealer Konrad O. Bernheimer, the fourth generation of one of Europe’s major art dealing families, acquired Colnaghi. Shortly afterwards Bernheimer joined forces with the Old Master drawings dealer Katrin Bellinger and together they maintained the gallery’s position as one of the world’s most important dealerships, specializing in Master paintings and drawings from the 15th to the 19th century. In 2016 Colnaghi enters an exciting new chapter as Konrad Bernheimer announces a merger with fine art dealers Coll & Cortés (London and Madrid) and a return to St James's. Combining the strengths and expertise of both firms, and diversifying their previous offering, Colnaghi will offer European Old Master paintings, sculptures as well as art from the Spanish-speaking world in a new space which is more versatile and perhaps more suited to doing business in the 21st century, enabling Colnaghi to offer an enhanced bespoke and personal service to their clients.
30 June – 7 July 2017 | PREVIEW 29 JUNE
30 June – 7 July 2017Exhibitors
preview 29 June
preview 29 June
Konrad Bernheimer, Jorge Coll
+44 (0) 2074917408
26 Bury Street